CARE Center Volunteer Opportunities
Thank you for considering The CARE Center as a place to serve and give your time, gifts, and talents. We are grateful for your servant's heart. Before jumping in, take time to understand our biblical beliefs which also serve as guidelines. We always recommend that taking a tour is extremely helpful before getting started, but it is not required, and we strongly encourage you to pray and seek God's wisdom on the best place to support. Many opportunities have limited space and time constraints to consider as well. Once again, thank you for willing to be the hans and feet of Christ.
Volunteer Orientation is held once per month. Please sign up to attend by calling 256-723-2273.
The CARE Center- as God sees it:
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Collossians 3:17 ESV)
- It is a privilege and honor to advance the Kingdom through work at The CARE Center. We hope you will join us after seeking God first. Our desire is for everyone to be in His will, not our own.
- It is not our place to judge those we serve. We are only here to offer hope and opportunity.
- God has perfectly ordained for each of us to be here, and we will also be changed from serving. It is all for His glory.
- It is our desire to treat everyone with dignity and grace while respecting our neighbors' privacy. Our hope is to help restore what poverty has taken away.
Through our work and our actions, Glorify God.
Whatever you do, work heartify, as for the Lord and not for men. (Colossians 3:23 ESV)
Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave, there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom. (Ecclesiastes 9:10 NLT)
...for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among who you shine as lights in the world. (Philippians 2:30-15 ESV)
Hard and fast rules:
"And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'" (Matthew 25:40 NLT)
Jesus replied, "'You must first love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:37-40 NLT)
- Confidentiality release forms must be signed.
- Working with children, elderly, or special circumstances requires a background check. We ask our volunteers to help off-set this expense, which is $14. If this is a burden to you, please let us know as we do not want to turn anyone away unnecessarily.
- Special events or outreach requires permission in advance.
- Never, never, never give gifts of money to our neighbors without permission in advance.
- If a child reports something that raises questions of concern, please report it immediately.
- We dress appropriately and talk with respect to each other.
- We work and lead by example as we are held to a higher standard and to be the salt and light of the earth.
- We respect rules of the ministry even if we disagree.
- We treat our neighbors as we would want to be treated.
CARE Center in the media:
He gave justice and help to the poor and needy, and everything went well for him. Isn't that what it means to know me?" says the LORD. (Jeremiah 22:16 NLT)
- We do not share details surrounding the work of The CARE Center or our neighbors with anyone, including social media or other public outlets. This is handled internally only.
- Do not speak publicly to the media about The CARE Center, as this is strictly handled internally.
If you are interested in scheduling a tour, please call 256.723.2273.
Areas of Service:
|Adopt a Grandparent||Matches homebound neighbors with individual volunteers or groups to form a caring and beneficial relationship. Volunteers provide friendship, visitation, basic services, and tender loving care to the senior in need on a weekly basis.|
|Bags of Blessings||B.O.B. is a weekend backpack food ministry that helps children who are on the FREE breakfast and lunch program at school and may otherwise go without food while they are away from school. This ministry is at NHES, OCRES, MCES (all Title 1 schools). We are currently serving over 500 students. This program is very logistically challenging and requires 4 teams of volunteers to ensure that the 3-step process flows seamlessly and smoothly with Friday morning delivery to schools.|
|Boys to Men
||Boys mentoring program at OCRES 4th through 6th grades. Men are encouraged to pray and seek God's will in this as we begin to place at-risk boys with male mentors.|
||A backpack ministry for school supplies, helping our neighbors who are under-resourced provide the essential needs for their children to gain important skills at school.|
|Food Drives||Approximately every quarter and after the Easter and Christmas season there is a food drive where about 6 people are needed to help unload the box truck into the receiving area and food panty. Please let us know if you would like to be notified of these dates as they arise.|
|Food Pantry||Open to our neighbors and families within our service area to visit one time per month for an emergency 3-day food supply. Volunteer support is needed to ensure this ministry can keep the doors open each service day.|
|Office Receptionist||One morning or afternoon each week, assist CARE Center staff by answering phone calls, greeting walk-ins, filing, making copies, and various other office administrative activities.|
|Partner in Hope||Throughout the year we discover various needs of our neighbors, and we may orchestrate a group to help fulfill the need. If you are interested in being a pool of people we may contact, this hands-on ministry may be for you. The jobs will vary in skill level and random. We appreciate your heart to be in the wings and wait for these opportunities to open up as random acts of kindness.|
|Sisters of Faith||Stand in the gap for at-risk girls K-6th grade by becoming a mentor and lifelong friend. Children are paired based on specific needs.|
|Thrift Store||The Thrift Store is always looking for a few good men and women to help with sorting, tagging, and floor displays. We also need men to help with heavy lifting during our furniture pick-ups out in the community. Volunteer dates are by appointment on Tuesday and Thursday.|
Tutoring is made available to students at schools within the service area of The CARE Center. This ministry is helping students succeed as well as allowing teachers to meet all of their students' needs. Consider this critical ministry to help make lifelong learners of our future work force. Currently serving over 400 students per week! No experience necessary.